Series: Jesus Is The Better Pursuit
Speaker: Paul Mermilliod
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. I appeal to you, brothers, bear with my word of exhortation, for I have written to you briefly. You should know that our brother Timothy has been released, with whom I shall see you if he comes soon. Greet all your leaders and all the saints. Those who come from Italy send you greetings. Grace be with all of you.
God Equips His Church To Do His Will
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen
God’s will is not a guessing game or a mystical feeling, but instead His purposes and commands revealed in Scripture. (21-22)
- God’s will is accessible and clear.
- God’s will is above and beyond us.
- God’s will is revealed in the Book of Hebrews.
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God.
1 Peter 4:1-2
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
God’s church can do His will because of who He is. (20)
Our Hope is in the…
- God of Peace
- Resurrected King
- Great Shepherd
- Substitute for Sin
- Better Covenant
In Jesus, we are being equipped to do God’s will. (21)
We are Equipped…
- With “every good thing”
- To “do his will”
- By His “working in us”
- “Through Jesus Christ”
Through Jesus, we labor to faithfully do God’s will. (22)
Exhortations from Hebrews…
- Jesus is Better! Draw near, hold fast to our confession, and consider how to stir up one another to love and good works.
- Warning! Do not drift away from the Word, do not be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin, do not grow sluggish, and do not fall away from the faith!
- Live by Faith! Jesus is our confident trust. Run with endurance and continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God.
Through Jesus, God’s church accomplishes His will together. (22)
Speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
How Do We Respond?
- KNOW: God has equipped His church to do His will
- DO: Live in obedience and submission to God’s will out of devotion to Jesus.
- FEEL: Awe and wonder that God has given us everything we need to walk in His will, and is continuing to make us like Jesus.
- WANT: To grow in our understanding of and obedience to the Holy Spirit through God’s Word.